Our History

St. Matthew's Parish, Hyattsville is celebrating its 203rd year in 2014. It was carved from the former St. John's Parish, which was one of the original 30 parishes established by the General Assembly of the Maryland colony in 1692. 


St. Matthew's Parish established its first church in Hyattsville in 1888, when the Parish constructed a memorial church named after its 7th rector, William Pinkney. The Rt. Rev. Pinkney, rector from 1836 to 1857, was later elected as Bishop of the Diocese of Washington. When the congregation grew too large for the Pinkney Memorial Church, a new site was found for the Parish. St. Matthew's has been at its present site since 1951, when the rectory was completed. Construction of the parish hall was finished in 1954 and the present sanctuary followed in 1962. A history of the parish from 1811 to 1961 was written by Betty and Neil Hotchkiss. Click here to read or download it (2.92 MB pdf). 


St. Matthew's Parish is now being served by our priests, the Rev. Ana Langerak and Father Vidal Rivas. We are part of Region 5 of the Diocese of Washington. The Parish has enjoyed a long and illustrious history in the City of Hyattsville, in bringing its mission of living the Gospel of Jesus Christ to its community.

 

Please join us in our journey and be a part of that history as we begin our 3rd century of worship and mission!


St. Matthew Window